View Single Post
Old 12-15-2022, 03:32 PM   #25
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Basic physics. The Cyan, Yellow and Magenta is a subtractive system. For ONE of cyan, yellow and magenta the other two pigments have to move to the side of the cell.
Cyan is transparent to blue + green light, blocks red
Yellow is transparent to red + green light, blocks blue
Magenta transparent to red + blue light, blocks green
Thus
red is yellow and magenta layered.
green is cyan and yellow layered.
blue is cyan and magenta layered.

The Cyan, yellow and magenta will be brightest. Red, green and blue will be dimmer.

The main advantage over the mono with stripes is higher resolution. It will still be poor compared to a mono only display for brightness/contrast with no front light on.

Obviously it has 50,000 approx colours rather than 4000 approx on regular filtered eink, because it's not the same cell technology, it must have more than 14 shades of grey, white and black, but this makes it dramatically slow.

While they aim to do a decent screen for a colour ereader this is not it yet.
I hate to beat a dead horse ( ) this is a reflective not a tranmissive system so the pigments are absorbing not transmitting the colour much as in a printed image. You are correct in that the reflective primary colours are cyan, magenta and yellow.

As near as I can tell from some of the image supplied, the magenta and yellow pigments would be floated to the top of the cup/capsule to produce red with white being mixed in to produce lighter shades of red. Black was achieved by floating the cyan, magenta and yellow to the top though this is more likely to achieve a muddy brown than a true black (hence the reason that in printing, they use CMYK to allow for a true black).

It may not be the greatest system but I'm going to wait to see how it does at reproducing the limited colour gamut of a comic for example before writing it off. It may not be perfect but there is a chance that it will be good enough.

I've attached one image, several others are available for a few minutes searching.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	five-trapezoids-labeled-respectively-green-orange-black-white-and-yellow.png
Views:	130
Size:	202.0 KB
ID:	198426  
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote