View Single Post
Old 12-14-2022, 12:51 PM   #17
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I don't think these screens will appeal to people who use (and like) tablets for reading -- but it will probably appeal to those who either like (or could like, if it was a bit better) than the Kaleidoscope E-Ink screens. This might be a nice step up for them. Side by side they look significantly better. I have no idea if the performance issues would get in the way or not.

Personally I don't need (and am not looking for) a way to read books in color on an E-Ink device. Definitely wouldn't use an LED tablet for this either.
I don't need colour to read novels. Comics, Graphic novels & picture books can use colour, but also need 10 to 13 inch screens.

I don't think there is a real ereader market for any current colour digital paper system. The E ink company is aiming at retail, advertising and similar.

You'd need as fast as mono (for page turns), 300 dpi and nearly as bright without lighting as regular eink. I think the 32,000 colours would be OK, or 4,000 at 600 dpi (then you could dither). The C Y M K layer system is the best bet, but even colour slide reversal film isn't clear enough for passive reflective display, so basic physics seems against it. There was more chance of Mirasol doing it, but it was poor and bought by Qualcomm. It was over 10 years ago that there was a product. Invention over 15 years ago and the R&D stopped by 2015.

Enough built in lighting kills the power saving of a bistable "paper like" display that needs no refresh, so either quantum film* LCD or true LED (rather than OLED/AMLED which are really electroluminescent dots with phosphor and filters) are the future for colour tablets and readers.

The colour panels by E Ink company that are not simply filtered regular eink are competing with Monitor panels in Retail, they are not viable as ereaders.

(Quantum Fiim on LCD is marketed as QLED by Samsung. It uses efficient pure blue real LEDs as a backlight for a mono LCD. The green and red stripes are quantum films that shift the blue light down to red and green instead of having the R G & B stripes. Thus they can use maybe 1/4 power or be visible in sunlight. Life is longer than OLED and "white" LED backlights because they are blue-violet LEDs with a yellow phosphor. Some LCD panels use longer life R G & B LEDs, but that's expensive.)
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote