Thread: Google is here!
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2018, 05:31 PM   #2
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Thanks, great news. Have you seen anything indicating the file format/DRM status?

ETA: I engaged in a live chat with a woefully unprepared Google rep, who couldn't answer anything. But some searching brought up this article, which says:

Quote:
Consumers will be able to buy audiobooks within the Google Play Books apps for Android as well as on the web, and also play them on iPads and iPhones, Google Home speakers, Chromecast streaming adapters and compatible devices. “You just pick up where you left off, no matter which device you are using,” said Hartrell.
Quote:
One frequent point of criticism of Audible has long been its use of digital rights management (DRM) technology that makes it impossible to play Audible files on some devices. Hartrell sidestepped questions about the file formats Google is going to use for its audiobook offering during an interview with Variety, but said the company was looking into make the service available on MP3 players and other legacy devices at some point down the line.
I was excited about a new source for audiobooks, but not if I can't be sure that I can get them onto my mp3 player.

Last edited by Catlady; 01-23-2018 at 05:54 PM. Reason: ETA
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote