View Single Post
Old 05-02-2013, 05:46 PM   #12
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
OK, the clock is ticking with only a little over two days left to nominate, so in the absence of any consensus or a ruling from Fearless Leader, I'm going to go ahead with a suggestion.

I nominated The American Senator by Trollope in the main club last month; it had some traction in the voting and I still think it has merit, so I'm repeating it here.

Quote:
it is notable for its depictions of rural English life and for its many detailed fox hunting scenes. In its anti-heroine, Arabella Trefoil, it presents a scathing but ultimately sympathetic portrayal of a woman who has abandoned virtually all scruples in her quest for a husband. Through the eponymous Senator, Trollope offers comments on the irrational aspects of English life..... Through his often-tactless remarks in conversation, through his letters to a friend in America, and through a lecture in London titled "The Irrationality of Englishmen", he comments on British justice and government, the Church of England, the custom of primogeniture, and other aspects of English life.
Public domain, of course. Available here at MR; if people don't want to convert to ePub it's also available at Manybooks. Free audio at LibriVox.

I gotta lot of ideas, so if no one else jumps in, I'll subject you all to more of them!

I'll note two things: one, that the club anniversary is coming up, and categories can be rejiggered for next year, if people think the nineteenth century is getting short shrift.

Two, I think the idea behind both the region and time period categories is to force people outside their comfort zones. Sooner or later (perhaps later, as Hamlet points out), we should have covered the globe and the (linguistic) history of mankind.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote