View Single Post
Old 09-29-2009, 07:49 PM   #4
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by frabjous View Post
There's one in this thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12872
Though it doesn't do anything you couldn't with a single call to the geometry package.

Is a complete "template" called for here?

Just...

Code:
\usepackage[paper size={90mm, 120mm},left=2mm,right=2mm,top=2mm,bottom=2mm,nohead]{geometry}
and

\sloppy

ought to cover it in most cases. (Using e.g., the book class with oneside and openany options... I saw somewhere that you like memoir, but I've never been that fond of it, but that's fine too.) Tweak the page size (the above is for 6" screen), and margins if you like, e.g., adding enough on the right for marginal notes, or the top or bottom for a header.

As far as readable LaTeX fonts, I guess Computer/Latin Modern is not great for e-Ink screens. I like Charter or New Century Schoobook:

\usepackage[charter]{mathdesign}

or

\usepackage{fouriernc}

I've used kpfonts (Kepler Project Fonts) too.
I more meant LaTeX templates that provide a typographically more developed environment than any packages provide out of the box.

Basically a template would allow somebody to copy-and-paste into the LaTeX source their book's contents and get something that aesthetically matches (given the right fonts, of course) my Casanova's Memoirs eBook.

The basics provided by LaTeX are, of course, miles better than the alternative to begin with... but I find the defaults tend to be bland, and can readily be improved upon with even fairly minor customization.

I'll show some examples either tonight or tomorrow, as my time allows.

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote