View Single Post
Old 07-10-2019, 09:39 AM   #4
Philippe D.
Addict
Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2o; reMarkable; Onyx Max 2 Pro
Hi all,

I have two devices of this kind, that I use for a purpose similar to the OP's: reading PDF articles, sometimes annotating them, taking notes.

I have both a Remarkable and a Onyx Max 2. I also recently bought a Onyx Note Pro, but not for me - my wife wanted to be able to read and annotate PDFs, but the light on the Note Pro (there is none in the Max 2 or the Remarkable) made her choose it instead of the larger Max 2 (almost full A4 format) or the Remarkable, which is really very pleasant to write on.

The Onyx devices use Android - not a new version, but it does mean you can install any compatible Android app if it works correctly on an e-ink display. Writing on them is OK, but really not as comfortable as on the Remarkable, whose surface is textured just right for that - I've been using mine for note taking and writing down things, instead of a paper notebook, for almost two years, and I'm very pleased with it.

Hardware capabilities are important (how reactive the device will be), but the software is equally important - especially with a "closed" device where you cannot easily install third party programs, like the Remarkable. On this, software quality is improving, with new features being introduced - some of which, to be honest, I think should have been available from the start, such as the possibility to add/remove pages inside a notebook, or copy/pasting parts of a page to another page or another document (these are supposed to arrive in the new update - I can't wait).

On all these devices, battery life is good, but nowhere near as good as on a standard ereader. The precise touch display and more powerful CPU certainly drain the battery more quickly. I need to charge them every 2-3 days if I use them regularly.
Philippe D. is offline   Reply With Quote