View Single Post
Old 04-25-2016, 10:57 AM   #10
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
I use a TBR collection that tells me if I haven't read a book yet. It is set from a #readstatus custom column in calibre.
Meanwhile, I use the Kindle the way Amazon intended -- while I use Calibre extensively for sucking periodicals down and emailing them to the Kindle, I've always found its plugboard and custom column scheme horrifically confusing (and don't want to plug the Kindle into the computer whenever I make any collection-related changes), so I just use normal built-in-to-Kindle collections.

It's scaling fine for me at the moment, with a thousand-odd books on there: I have collections for unread stuff, read stuff (periodically deleted to free up room), stuff I'm reading now, and the rest are groups for things like specific series, particular types of nonfiction books, anthologies, etc etc etc. Combining that with searches by recency, author, and textual content mean I can usually find any book I'm looking for in a few seconds -- certainly faster than I could find a book in the real world.

Really, hierarchy is overrated for this application. Most things you might want to group books into are *not* hierarchical: the only hierarchy I can think of is author -> series, and the first level of that is redundant unless you have series with the same name by multiple different authors. If you really have that problem, name your collections something like "Series (Author)".
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote