View Single Post
Old 04-22-2024, 11:38 PM   #1528
Jordan5
Jordan5 began at the beginning.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
PSA: The dreaded Father Brown has been renewed for not one but TWO more seasons, 2025-26. And sadly (sniffle) the same cast and crew have been renewed, too, yes, even including BRENDA and the not-so-divine Mrs. Devine. The announcement said something about Brenda competing nationally on telly as a ballroom dancer, which might be the most ludicrous thing I've ever typed here. I mean, as I and others here have previously discussed, Brenda is a pipeline for dialogue, and not much else as a character, so...well, anyway.

Hitch

Yeah, worse luck. �� But from what I've heard, there's a very good reason FB keeps getting renewed. It apparently has nothing to do with quality (which it hasn't since S10) Supposedly the producers are able to bring the show in under budget--and as an incentive, the BBC allows them to keep the leftover loot. And said producers supposedly get first-look series options and other goodies. And apparently the producers don't treat the actors well--either you suck up and do what they tell you...or get lost because the show is so "popular" anyone can be replaced.

In short, FB is now apparently just a cash cow--and what's known as a placeholder show. It's not going anywhere no matter how bad till the profits run out. Me--I've switched over to Murdoch Mysteries. Granted the plots are often bonkers. But those creators have well-developed characterization; smart (if goofy) mysteries; and genuine respect for viewers' intelligence and the source material. As well, one of my all-time GOAT shows, Cold Case, is coming back with the original showrunner. Why waste time with crap any longer?

Last edited by Jordan5; 04-22-2024 at 11:41 PM.
Jordan5 is offline   Reply With Quote