View Single Post
Old 04-22-2024, 05:03 PM   #1526
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealTOEBEANS View Post
I'm a young person, and I've recently discovered Midsomer Murders! Very good stuff. I don't watch much TV, preferring books, but that's a nice one. Especially the first five seasons.

Cheers.
IMHO--and I'm not a young person!--the first seasons with John Nettles as DCI Tom Barnaby and the original production crew and writers were the best. I've just never warmed up to the cousin.

I even like the actor, don't get me wrong--Neil Dudgeon (thought he was a hoot as George Moody in the Mrs. Bradley murders with Emma Peel, aka Diana Rigg), but...just have never really been able to feel about him and his wife and his annoying child, BET-TY, as I did for the first DCI Barnaby. Don't know why it is; he's been DCI Barnaby now longer than Nettles was. You'd think I'd have warmed up, but nope.

I also think that the writing has just tapered off. I don't want to say "gone downhill," but that's the gist. The mysteries aren't as mysterious and I don't think I remember the last real locked-room mystery. (Sort of like what's happening with Death in Paradise, too and has already happened with Father Brown.)

I also think that they sacrificed a lot of plot on a lot of other, not-mystery-related stuff, but I'll leave that for another thread on another forum.

PSA: The dreaded Father Brown has been renewed for not one but TWO more seasons, 2025-26. And sadly (sniffle) the same cast and crew have been renewed, too, yes, even including BRENDA and the not-so-divine Mrs. Devine. The announcement said something about Brenda competing nationally on telly as a ballroom dancer, which might be the most ludicrous thing I've ever typed here. I mean, as I and others here have previously discussed, Brenda is a pipeline for dialogue, and not much else as a character, so...well, anyway.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote