View Single Post
Old 04-16-2024, 03:59 PM   #1
TheSmitty
Addict
TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite SE, Libra 2, Oasis 3, Boox Note Air 3C, iPad Pro 11
Kobo journey so far...

Pardon the ramble but someone might find this interesting, laughable or sad...

I have a rather large kindle library (800+) that I have purchased over the years. I really have nothing against Amazon (big Prime user) but have always wanted a fall back device. I have a Kobo Libra 2 I bought when that first came out and hardware wise I love it. I love the buttons and the device just feels better to me over my other kindle devices. I transferred all my books (after conversion) onto it. Other than some conversion issues, involving headers which I have posted about before, it has worked well.

I read on both my Kobo and my Kindle but different things for different reasons. Typically I read novels on the kindle because I can make use of whispersync which allows me to switch easily between audible book and the ebook. I read history, biographies, etc on the Kobo. Having said that, I prefer my time with the Kobo because of the buttons and I just like it.

Whispersync switching is a big deal, but that alone is not what keeps me on Amazon. I almost always stop reading/listening at chapter breaks anyway. But the other benefit of Audible is that I can buy the audible version at a significant discount if I already bought the ebook. Kobo does not do that unfortunately.

Anyway, while checking out the website of a new (to me) local indie bookstore I noticed they had a menu selection for audiobooks which then led me to libro.fm A revelation that was, I can do their subscription (priced same as kobo and audible basically), and I can download the book to their app AND download the audio files, without DRM, for safe keeping... bonus! I am trying it out now to see what hassle there is, if any for reading/listening to my novels during my commute etc. It is promising. If I do not need whispersync ability then I do not need to buy my ebooks and audiobooks exclusively through amazon. Time will tell.

Having said all that, I have rolled the dice and pre-ordered the Libra Colour anticipating that I may be able to go full Kobo for the ebooks.

It is nice to have options....
TheSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote