View Single Post
Old 05-02-2024, 10:23 PM   #419
jackm8
Zealot
jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I have a Kindle Oasis 2 running 5.16.2.1.1 firmware that has been offline for a couple of months so I thought I would use it for a test of e-book deletion. The device only had books on it that were purchased from Amazon or delivered using send-to-kindle.

I created some additional e-books for testing and sideloaded them via USB. This included at least three books each in AZW3 (KF8) and KFX formats. Some were marked as a Kindle purchase (CDETYPE=EBOK), personal document (CDETYPE=PDOC), and not specified (no CDETYPE metadata).

I saved a copy of the documents folder of the device, turned off airplane mode, and synced it with Amazon. The result was the deletion of all of the books I had USB sideloaded with CDETYPE=EBOK. No other books were deleted from the device.

A system log created using ;dm showed the same number of the following messages as the number of books that were deleted:
240429:145014 cvm[10279]: I ReaderSDKImpl:Information::Processing remove item
240429:145014 cvm[10279]: I ReaderSDKImpl:Information::Successfully deleted content

To me this appears to be evidence of the intentional deletion of books that are marked internally as having come from Amazon for which there is no associated record in the user's account.
That's pretty serious. It's positive proof that amazon is scooping at users devices and deleting content at will.
jackm8 is offline   Reply With Quote