View Single Post
Old 04-20-2021, 05:40 PM   #15
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
@Catlady: I can honestly say I have less than zero interest in reading ANY of the Russians. I was totally put off them at a young age, and haven't felt any desire to ever return. I haven't read W&P, but I have read the other two in my youth. And don't care to repeat the experience.
That is exactly why I want to read them--I too was put off by them in high school. Plus I still feel guilty about reading only the Cliff Notes for Anna Karenina.

Quote:
That particular Dickens isn't high on my list, but there are a couple that would be interesting to me. A Tale of Two Cities and especially Nicholas Nickleby. The latter because I have an Audible version of it read by the inimitable Kobna Holdbrook-Smith and would love an excuse to read it. Of course, it's stupendously long, so would likely overwhelm my audio reading for at least a couple of months, but I'm game if we ever get around to considering it as a group read.

(Nickleby would actually lend itself quite well to a group read, given that the Audible version is divided up into 19 roughly two hour segments, lending it to a "serial read" of a segment or two a month. )
Yes to Nicholas Nickleby. I reread A Tale of Two Cities a couple of years back when I went on a little Dickens binge, so wouldn't want to read it again.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote