View Single Post
Old 07-05-2014, 06:42 AM   #53
M96user
M96user began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M96
M96 updates, problems, suggestions and questions.

Dear Booxtor,
I recently got my M96 from your store.
After installing updates the overall improvements have changed the device from unusable to good but there are still some problems I would like to report.

1) Like post #3 in this thread already mentioned (and the video shows) annotating PDFs with the stylus does not always produce continuous lines, even if the stroke is carefully controlled. Using the eraser tool somewhere on the screen makes these missing lines reappear.
2) Annotation/scribble export button does nothing. This is a real problem!
3) There is no app for just scribbling/note taking. I put a blank PDF file on my device but I cannot add additional pages as required. Ideally I would like an app that functions like a scrapbook or lab book.
4) I am using the app "Pocket" on my other android devices but I cannot log into my account on the M96 using Google signin. This is because Google Play Services is not installed. I tried installing Google Play Services from the Play store but the installation fails due to incompatibility issues. It should be fine. After some searching online it appears that some other Android 4.0x devices have had similar problems in the past.
5) I tried to use an

Please could you answer the following questions for clarification:
1) Who is creating the updates you posted?
2) The screen technology is E Ink Pearl and compared to the new Carta screens used in the Kindle Paperwhite and Kobo readers it is not as nice. Lower resolution, lower contrast. But the screen size more than makes up for it. However, I would love to know whether a large-screen eReader is planned with Carta soon. Or Mobius, of course. Any updates on that?
3) Perhaps we should start a thread (or some webpage) where we list Android apps that are compatible with the M96, and a list of recommended apps that are realy suitable/essential for eink?
4) In the updated NeoReader the slider at the bottom of the page is replaced by a line with dots on. The old slider (in OReader) was better because it was easier to jump between pages with fewer clicks. If the old slider could be brought back that would be great.
5) The device is now called "Arkbook". Please expain?

Finally, after all the reluctant negativity in my post I would like to state some positives and answer some questions that were asked in previous posts:

Battery life is great. I can't give you an exact number because after less than a week the battery has not emptied yet! I took the M96 on a work trip for 3 days and the battery is still full after lots of reading and moderate use on WiFi(WLAN).

After updating the stylus annotation is much better and the lines appear where I intended. If you use zooming you can make some really fine annotations.

Thanks, looking forward to your response.
M96user is offline   Reply With Quote