View Single Post
Old 06-22-2021, 12:41 PM   #5
hildea
Wizard
hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux (had Onyx Boox Poke 3 and BeBook Neo earlier)
I liked it -- it was fun to read, and I got the feeling Milne had fun writing it, with the Holmes/Watson references and the hobbyist detective and the secret passage and the twist.

It reminded me a bit of the film "Knives Out", which has some of the same having-fun-with-embracing-genre-cliches stuff, although that film has much more of a real crime mystery with a cast of credible suspects.

I had an impression of some mildly annoying sexism in the portrayal of the female servants, but looking back now I can't find it again. It wasn't too blatant, anyway, and not more than one can expect in a book from 1922.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
In the end, did anyone not know that the victim was Mark and the murderer Cayley from the get-go?
I didn't guess it from the beginning, but it did become pretty obvious after a while (I don't remember exactly when I guessed, but by the time they found the clothes in the lake, there was no doubt at all.)
hildea is offline   Reply With Quote