View Single Post
Old 02-27-2024, 08:22 AM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by IV4ES View Post
For me, it is really important to have internet support.
This is because I read books on foreign languages and there is always a need to check unfamiliar words and phrases or even translate the entire paragraph via DeepL translator.
Of course, the built-in dictionary cannot do that much
If you want to mostly read ebooks bought from Amazon a Kindle is simplest.

If you want to only read novels, and from any source except B&N, then a Kobo is best, though transferring Amazon bought ebooks is simpler if you have an old eink Kindle registered on Amazon (but it doesn't need to still work). There are 6, 7, 8 and 10.3 inch Kobo models. The 10.3″ is less pixels than the 8″ and heavy for reading a novel. I've had or have all sizes. I'm getting rid of the 10.3″ as it's pointless compared to Libr2 or Sage (which I have) and grossly inferior to the TCL Nxtpaper 11 for PDFs & comics or notes. Inferior to Sage for novels & notes, or to Libra 2 for just novels. The Kobos, unlike Kindle or any MTP device are fully supported by Calibre for collections, subtitles, series, description, publisher info and annotations/bookmarks/highlights/reading position/status. The Kobo doesn't need a jailbreak. While it can't use the Playstore, there are some 3rd party apps and patches.

If you want Internet, textbooks, every kind of loan, any kind of PDF, Djvu, image, Manga, colour comics etc, then the 10.9″ TCL Nxtpaper 11 is the best option. Almost as comfortable as eink, but can do video perfectly. Very fast, long charge life, 4 G RAM, 128 G Flash and up to 1T byte (1000G) micro SD card. Less than half price of a Boox. Optional note taking with T-Pen or handwriting mode of Gboard. Android 13. The screen has to be seen and used to be believed, though it's best with auto brightness off, not Dark mode, reading mode off, eye-saver mode off and sRGB on. Powerful enough CPU for a Laptop USB-TV adaptor and perfect HDTV H.264 off an aerial. Instant response PDF or Web zoom/pan/flip scroll like a high end i7 GPU Workstation. A 2000 x 1200 screen.

A mono Boox would be a second best option for Android and eink. The Likebook/Boyue/Meebook family seem OK for reading but poor for Internet. The Pocketbook doesn't seem to support the Playstore.

I think Pocketbook app on Android is far better than Readera.

Last edited by Quoth; 02-27-2024 at 08:32 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote