View Single Post
Old 03-24-2024, 08:37 PM   #10
i_am_not_a_duck
i_am_not_a_duck began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra H20
UPDATE: So I'm not sure if this is the solution or a coincidence. I tried uploading 90 kepubs in one go. All showed up in the metadata file once they were uploaded before I disconnected the device. However, the Kobo only imported ~45 of them. I read in another thread that logging out and logging back in would make the device import the remainder of them so I decided to try that before reconnecting the Kobo to Calibre. It worked! But now I'm a little confused as to why that worked. Why didn't they all go through the first time around? How does logging out and back in fix it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
The calibre metadata file is populated with the list of books on the device and that list is obtained when the Kobo driver reads the database from the device. I believe that it is only written when the device disconnects from calibre.
I can see the file is written before I eject it and it is populated with all the books I've uploaded. When I connect the Kobo to the computer I can see that the file is still intact before I start Calibre. It isn't until I start Calibre and it detects the device that it immediately- and I truly mean immediately, resets metadata.calibre.
If what you're writing is true, why bother writing a file at all? Why not just read the contents from the database every time instead of creating another file?

Let me know how to put Calibre in debug mode and I will share logs next time I upload a batch of books. I don't want to do it right now because I may not be able to connect for a while (which is the reason for the 90 books in the first place). But next time I do, I will share whatever I find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If calibre was to overwrite metadata.calibre, it would scan for all the content on your Kobo. So you would still see which books are on your Kobo regardless.

As to why it's happening, my guess could be some of the errors in the eBooks are causing it.
But the thing is, every book's metadata gets written to metadata.calibre in the first place. I can see the files on the Kobo. And from my update above, I now know that every book CAN successfully work.
i_am_not_a_duck is offline   Reply With Quote