View Single Post
Old 09-22-2019, 06:20 PM   #76
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
I think Cumbria is a very long way from London! I mean culturally rather than in terms of actual distance.

I see what you mean issybird about the setting feeling like an earlier time. I do think though that despite the tourism (which would only happen in the short summer) that the locals would have led a fairly isolated life in the time before the internet.

Assuming the school was consistently bad, and if, say, dyslexia was in the mix, I can well believe that people not interested in reading would be barely literate.

The grandfather was presumably the right age to be sent to the war, but could have been ruled out either because farming was an essential service, or perhaps because of some physical thing following his illness.

All guesswork on my part of course. But I suppose I’m saying I find it believable that an area like that would be at least a generation behind other parts of England in the whole way of life.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote