View Single Post
Old 05-11-2016, 08:29 PM   #56
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I live in a retirement home and one of the other residents here was an avid reader all her life and then she began losing her vision. She could see a little but not well enough to read. I got her started with audiobooks and she was fine till she began to lose her hearing. Also audiobooks are a lot more expensive.

After several surgeries she can still barely see and she's now able to hear a little. She no longer lives here but she came to visit not long ago and I gave her a few more old audiobooks.

Just think if she had a Paperwhite 3 with this device. I could put a thousand books on it and it could read them to her. Assuming she could easily control it, and I have no idea about that yet, it would be ideal. I'm pretty sure she'll want one if she can make it work.

Anyway I have a PW3 and when I get this thing I can try it out and if it seems plausible I'll get in touch with her and see what happens. It would be ideal for her.

The same thing could be done with a Kindle Fire but that has a pretty complicated interface. She tried a tablet a long time ago and wasn't able to make it work. Hopefully this will be easier.

It's not crazy. It's about people who love to read and have limitations and the more choices they have the better chance there'll be something that works for them. There's nothing at all crazy about that.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote