View Single Post
Old 01-04-2022, 06:56 PM   #16
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
I do like the sexy lamp test!

I think the book is one to read for the excitement of the big set pieces - the chāteau set on fire, which I thought was a ripper, and of course the events towards the end in Nīmes.

While it isn't great literature by any means, I think Weyman wrote well and he was clearly immersed in the history of France. (From memory, all his books are set in France, many in the times before the Revolution.)

It was a romantic view of time and place, rather than a grand romance in the "boy meets girl" sense.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote