Thread: Classics East Lynne by Ellen Wood
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2021, 05:33 PM   #30
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
I have just finished today, and in the modern vernacular I might say she ‘went there’.

The book begins slowly and prosaically enough for a long while, and certainly much can be guessed far ahead of time. But, wow, Wood doesn’t suffice with simple delicate allusions once things go awry. She revels in giving us the messiest of scenes in all their detailed, melodramatic and even schadenfreude-ian glory.

As I read further and further the phrase ‘everything but the kitchen sink’ kept popping up in my head, lol.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote