View Single Post
Old 05-27-2010, 09:22 PM   #33
Shecky
Shecky doesn't litterShecky doesn't litter

Device: Sony Pocket PRS-300
Hmm. Nook Lite, eh? Grr. I hate decision-making.

I'm hearing, obviously, varying responses to the Kobo - some say it's flimsy, others say it's fine, some say it's smooth-working, others say it's a pain in the neck, etc. Think I'm going to wait a little longer to see what shakes loose on this.

Anyway, some further clarification on what interests me and what's irrelevant to me, if it helps you guys in your feedback (by the way, THANKS for everyone's comments so far!).

1) Page-turn speed is not necessarily a problem. I often find myself reading paperbacks standing up one-handed (hanging on to a subway strap with the other, for instance), and it already takes a bit to turn the page, so slow turns are not automatically deal-breakers. Just HOW slow might make a difference, though. I'm not into instant gratification, but some alacrity is always appreciated.
2) Price is ALWAYS a consideration.
3) Screen size? Ditto. The more text I can pack onto a page, the better (I've got good eyesight and am not bothered by small fonts). Ideally, I'd like a reader that's about the size of a paperback, with a screen that takes up most of the front and a text box that's about the same size as that of a paperback.
4) Ultra-long battery life is a concern, but not a huge one. I cannot recall the last time I had a block of time large enough to read 500 pages at a clip. However, recharging time would figure greatly as a factor in this - if the battery runs out quickly AND takes a long time to recharge, that would be a stopper.
5) A flimsy "feel" really doesn't concern me. While it's a pleasure to hold a device that feels sturdy and ergonomically fitting, remember that I'm used to holding paperbacks one-handed, and they feel REALLY flimsy and non-ergonomic. It's a net gain.
6) Actual flimsiness may or may not be a problem. I don't drop books and would not expect a manufacturer to cover for my clumsiness. That being said, if the reader doesn't stand up to normal handling (the occasional bang when it's bumped around inside a soft-side briefcase or backpack needs not to pose any problems), that would be a no-go.

So, to recap, the central issues are: readability (about a paperback page's worth of text at once, but I know I won't get that without a larger reader, so the most I can get would suffice), size (paperback book) and price. Everything else is more or less negotiable.

Last edited by Shecky; 05-27-2010 at 09:33 PM.
Shecky is offline   Reply With Quote