View Single Post
Old 03-30-2010, 01:49 PM   #2
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Pocketbook 901

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexGrant View Post
Hello ALL. From E-Book Reader Matrix https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-bo...Larger_Devices I've learned that readers with 9.7": Astak Mentor Electra and PocketBook 901 will be manufactured by the same company Netronics. For me PocketBook 901 is much better than Mentor Electra: 350g vs 535g, no touchscreen. But PocketBook 901 will be sold in Ukraine and Russia. Will be good if Astak can be reseller for PocketBook 901. I came to USA from Ukraine, but I am too busy to fly there just to get a good reader. Let us ask Astak together to give us availability to buy PocketBook 901 in US. PocketBook 901 will also have very good dictionaries inside, developed by ABBYY. For me this will be a great benefit because English is not my "second language", it is my Fifth language.
Dear Alex:

I know you as very, very smart; but let me try to lay out how these things work.

You would think quite like I thought... if it is made by Netronix Astak should be able to carry it. Alas, NOTHING is simple. While there is a connection between Netronix and Astak (they even sharedf our booth at CES) Netronix has its own mind. They do custom work. They will field an order from the Ukraine, for example, and IF the order is for 50,000 units and they pay the engineering fee, Netronix will build that model to their design and with their software. Think of Gunslinger for Hire!! BUT,then if we show interest, Netronix tells us the device they have is copyrighted and not available to us or anybody else.

The KEY is quantity!! IF Astak could feel that they could sell 100,000 units of 11 inch and paid the engineering fee up front... we would have the new "Astak Gargantuan" in short order. But we cannot do this. PLUS, there is a new SIPix screen in 9 inch that promises to drop price and provide Astak a lower cost for what seems to be a better screened device. 9.7 inch was the old PVI size. 9 inch is the SIPix sweet spot. You will not notice the difference in size.

Stay tuned. I CANNOT even hint at new things... but things are definitely happening at Astak to the good (for Astak and end users).
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote