View Single Post
Old 10-29-2009, 02:43 PM   #65
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Will look into this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
Agreed, there only seem to be a few HERE that are experiencing the problem FOR NOW, but it is a real problem with the PocketPRO. I do know how USB works, down to the hardware level. I expect others having this problem also actually do know how USB works as well.

To answer your hardware excuses for the PocketPRO failing USB2.0, I have tried this PocketPRO on ALL the USB ports on my dual boot main PC, both with Ubuntu and with WinXP and it always failed USB2.0 miserably. It actually worked slightly better on Ubuntu than WinXP, but I put that down to better error recovery techniques by the Ubuntu software. It was when I tried the PocketPRO on an old IBM laptop that the PocketPRO actually started to work perfectly well on USB. The old IBM laptop only had USB1.1 capability. When I put a USB1.1 hub in series with the PocketPRO it performed well on my main PC. USB2.0 works very well with ALL the other USB2.0 capable hardware that I tested on my main PC.

To answer your software excuses for the PocketPRO failure, I had gone into my main PC's BIOS and changed the BIOS to only allow USB1.1 on all the computer's ports. I then reran Ubuntu and WinXP( same firewall and software as before) and USB1.1 worked beautifully with the PocketPRO. Went into the BIOS again and enabled USB2.0, and reran the same software again and the PocketPRO crapped out again on USB2.0 The only difference between the two tests was disabling USB2.0 in the PC BIOS. All software and firewall settings were exactly the same.

I am certain that the USB problem with the PocketPRO is a minor hardware design error that only affects the statistical corner cases, but is VERY poor production design to even approach the statistical corner cases. I have my own idea what the specific problem *might* be, but I do not have the equipment at home to prove it.

If you can think of any other excuses for why *some* PocketPRO devices fail so miserably on USB2.0, I will be glad to test your theories. If not then Jinke really does need to look at this problem, or they may find a much larger percentage of a production run hitting this USB2.0 corner case.
Dear Dave_S:

Thank you for your post. I work for Astak and we are reading and following.

Personally, I use a card reader/writer anyway to put eBooks onto an SD card for my personal Pocket PRO. It is far faster than simple USB.

We have talked with the factory on this, verified it is 2.0, and they swear they cannot begin to duplicate the problem in their labs. Still,they will keep trying.

Please mention why the card reader/writer cannot be utilized. I confess that I hear you and believe you... but would just like to know.

Please do not lose your temper and please stick with us. I am honest and sincere and do not lie. For me it has been flawless either with the USB or better with the card reader/writer.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote