View Single Post
Old 09-11-2009, 05:46 PM   #46
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
The Dictionary is a very old cry on the Astak thread that was NOT listened to. This is my one shame! Now that we have the factory's ear... let me again bring up the need for the dictionary. I will not quit until it can be accomodated!
Note that eReader supports dictionaries. This does not necessarily mean that the new eReader SDK will do so, and I think this only works inside eReader ebooks (i.e. you can't open the eReader dictionary inside other ebook types, as is possible with MOBI on some devices).

Open InkPot has added dictionary support, and it started out in CoolReader only (e.g. for FB2 ebooks). One issue for open source dictionary apps is that all commercial dictionaries come with DRM. However, there are freely available dictionaries, see dictd-dictionary. These are packaged for Linux, but the list gives you an idea of what is available. I think these "dictd" format dictionaries are the ones used by Lbook also on the Hanlin V3. If you get dictd dictionaries working in the EZ Readers, it might be possible to bundle a commercial dictionary by including it in the firmware (to get round the DRM requirement). That adds extra cost for the dictionary licence. Both Amazon and Sony (PRS-600 only) have gone this route, and both ended up licensing their dictionaries from Oxford press.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote