View Single Post
Old 05-07-2024, 05:11 PM   #1
marinheiro
Enthusiast
marinheiro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.marinheiro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.marinheiro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.marinheiro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.marinheiro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.marinheiro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.marinheiro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.marinheiro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.marinheiro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.marinheiro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.marinheiro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Pocketbook, Kobo Aura, Kobo Elipsa
Can't display/convert azw3 file

Unsure which forum to put this in as it overlaps several (eg kindle file formats) but I'm guessing Calibre people may be the most knowledgeable :-)

So, I bought an azw3 file from Amazon: Benny the Blue Whale, by Andy Stanton. To be fair to Amazon, they warned me that it wouldn't work on my oldest Kindle, and it does work on my Kindle 7.

It does not work with Calibre: the Calibre viewer shows the azw3 file with the wrong layout, with some words missing, and other words misplaced and displaying on top of others, recognizably text but unreadable. I tried converting to epub, and the converter runs for a very long time but eventually does complete. The Calibre viewer displays the epub output even worse: no recognizable characters, just a few random patterns scattered across each page. Trying to read the epub in my Kobo is even worse: a long pause while it tries to load the file, then the Kobo returns to the library page.

I'm not so worried that I can't read this particular book, more curious about what is going on inside the azw3 file, whether this will be a general trend, and why it is happening.

Any ideas?
marinheiro is offline   Reply With Quote