View Single Post
Old 05-04-2024, 06:45 AM   #14
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by fidvo View Post
(and are probably laughing behind my back for having such an old computer), it's not my primary or even secondary computer. I have a desktop that I use when I'm at home, and a Win 10 laptop for when I'm not. The old laptop, as obsolete as it is, still works fine for most of what I do. I only keep it around in case there's a problem with my main laptop..
If the Win7 is installed Legacy Mode, ie BIOS boot, not UEFI boot, even if the laptop has UEFI, there is an MS free tool to clone it and run it as a VM on a newer laptop!

Download here:
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sy...loads/disk2vhd

I found the actual SW had an extra GUI settings and to make file that actually worked (I used a USB backup HDD) it needed different settings. I used it for a 2002 XP Laptop and a generic Win7 tower that someone had used legacy/compatibility boot to install Win7, instead of UEFI even though the Mobo has it, so that worked too.

It's supplied so as to run old SW on a new Win10, that you lost the install disks, or that won't run on win10 64 bit. So intended for the Win10 default VM that's included, but the created file also works fine on Linux with Vbox.

I still have my Jan 2000 Laptop (1440 x 1050 and was NT4/Win98/Win3.11/DOS/Linux multiboot later upgraded to Win2K and Linux removed) in the attic and it worked last year. Needs a new clock battery. The 2002 XP laptop is still in the attic too.

I don't have any CP/M HW now, but I do have an emulator on Linux and XP of the old PCW8512. I gave away my last 8" floppy drive about 10 years ago.

I'm not laughing
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote