View Single Post
Old 04-21-2024, 03:20 PM   #65
Timboli
Fanatic
Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles & Samsung Tablet
Of course you are right. They won't be phasing out B&W e-ink ereaders until the color ones are at least as good ... or at least good enough... at least hopefully not.

And of course I wasn't suggesting a full comparison with Color TV versus B&W either. It was more about resistance to change, despite some level of improvement, which will likely increase over time.

While I like my tablet and use it sparingly, I don't agree it is anywhere near as nice for my older eyes as an e-ink screen is. Of course, younger eyes are mostly far more forgiving.

Sometimes I feel like that one nerdy guy that has an e-ink device, while many around me have a tablet, usually an iPad. So I certainly see e-ink devices as very niche, now that we have tablets and their benefits. Color e-ink devices, at least to my mind, are a way, if they work well enough, to reduce some of that niche aspect, perhaps even stop the decline of e-ink device uptake.

Most of us who have e-ink devices love them, and prefer them for our eyes. It has always been a costly pursuit though, for a one use device, unlike a tablet, which is generally more expensive but does so much more.

One cannot help but think of a device in terms of a cost on top of the purchase of an ebook. And if you have a few devices like me (2 Kindle, 1 Kobo and 2 Tablets), it has been an expensive endeavor for sure. But for me it has been worth it and I certainly prefer reading an ebook now. But then I make sure I have great covers that give much more or a semblance of a physical hard cover novel, and less of a techy device feel.

And while I regularly switch between my Paperwhite and my Kobo Libra H20, it is the latter with its buttons that I prefer, and for a few years now I have been mostly buying my ebooks from the Kobo store ... depending on ebook price and availability.

So I will eventually get another Kobo e-ink device, and it might as well be a color one, but I want it to be 10" too. My wife has the smaller Clara, which is better weight wise for her.
Timboli is offline   Reply With Quote