View Single Post
Old 04-15-2024, 06:12 AM   #690
leaston
Addict
leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
Pretty much all the 7.8" and large screen e-ink readers are niche use. I don't blame Kobo for starting out with the more commonly sold sizes. They are getting a boatload of attention and that's good. Would they be getting the same amount of attention for a larger, less portable, and last but not least, MORE EXPENSIVE option?

It's been what, 7+ years since Kobo introduced a 7.8" screen size option? Has Amazon followed suit? NOPE. And it's probably because they don't feel they'd get enough sales to be worth it. Right now, it's looking like Amazon has made a similar decision in regards to not continuing the Oasis line. (I hope I'm wrong, but not looking good on that front.)

I think if these color models sell well for Kobo, we will see other models in larger screen sizes. I hope not to the exclusion of BW models though.
Yes, it is telling that Amazon have jumped from 7" readers to the 10" Scribe with nothing new between. That Kobo haven't released a new 8" model does suggest lower sales and less interest at that size.

Having had a long rethink of what to do, I will replace my ailing Forma with a 7" B/W reader and continue with an Android tablet for everything except novels for now. I'll keep my fingers crossed for a 10" colour reader at some point though
leaston is offline   Reply With Quote