View Single Post
Old 04-11-2024, 12:04 PM   #80
cellaris
Addict
cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo, PocketBook, Tolino, Bookeen, Onyx Boox, Boyue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinet Duty View Post
This video explains some of the differences between colour and BW e-readers might be helpful to someone thinking about the new Kobo Libra Colour:

https://youtu.be/jaWnBMvdKH0?si=HxYQolP6Th1V5IpH
Does it really take 13' to tell us something as obvious as if you're not going to use colour, don't buy a colour e-reader? What's next, a 15' video telling us that an unlit e-reader won't be seen at night in a room where there's no light?

I don't understand this mania for defocusing the issue. What people are asking themselves is whether they can successfully combine colour (for comics, technical documents or whatever requires colour) with the usual black and white reading. Because you can't do that with a monochrome e-reader, but you can with a colour e-reader. And the answer to that question is not as simple as it is shown in that video. It depends a lot on how you usually use your e-reader and how demanding you are. I don't see myself reflected in that video. I don't use an e-reader without illumination or with the brightness level set to maximum. I use them 99% of the time at medium levels. And in those cases a decent colour e-reader (not the Bigme you use) looks exactly the same (in terms of lighting) as a monochrome one. If the illumination is set correctly (on a colour e-reader it will always be higher) there is no difference in display. The differences are in other things. And that's what people are asking, what does it really look like, what is the contrast and resolution like?

I know that people are looking for certainties one way or the other. And I also know that there are many charitable souls always ready to offer them. But I think the answer to that question is neither in the videos, nor in the photographs, nor in our opinions. The only way to find out is with a colour e-reader under our noses. Because everyone has different tastes and sensibilities and buys their e-readers based on a variety of factors. That is why there is such a variety of e-readers on the market. That is why a person could buy a basic Kindle and not a Kindle Voyage and be equally satisfied, even though they are so different in terms of contrast and resolution.

My approach is that the Kaleido 3 offers a technology that is not for everyone, but can be valid for a significant number of users. This is something that many reviews have agreed on. And that is why so many colour e-readers are appearing. Whether they are right for you is something only you can answer.
cellaris is offline   Reply With Quote