View Single Post
Old 04-11-2024, 07:37 AM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Personally, I want it to stay handwritten so I prefer this approach. There is no 100% accurate HWR and I don't want to have to correct it constantly. I just want use it like pen and paper.
That's why the full version of Nebo does real time preview and the Handwriting option of Gboard on Android is also realtime with alternate previews. In comparison the offline conversion of captured images / vectors is very poor, even compared to not backtracking/alternate selection.

Eink screen is too slow for real-time preview, so Nebo on Kobo doesn't offer it, but editing is quick and it's still better than off-line conversion (which I've used).
Newton and Palm Graffitti were not good enough*. The use of Gboard on eink is poor as is Nebo compared to a decent tablet with digitiser. So I've now abandoned Sage/Elipsa for notes. Even the Libra 2 can capture pen handwriting as an SVG which can be processed as well as original reMarkaable (though they may have now added local Nebo based conversion).

IMO any product should not claim handwriting unless it has local conversion that works without Internet, for issues of honesty, performance/accuracy and privacy. It's just sketching.

The real time versions have improved far more than essentially OCR on a captured file. Real time Preview Nebo is a little less accurate than Gboard (which works off line) but is a little faster to write a large volume. Even with a fingertip the Gboard is faster and more accurate than my typing. I only use the text touch keyboard for less common punctuation marks or € on Gboard (space bar flips qwerty/handwriting and is left-right cursor).

[* Apple Newton: August 1993 to March 1998. Palm OS Graffiti is a similar start era but up to 2010. Xerox was able to persuade US courts they invented it first. No-one should have had a patent on such a thing. It's easier than learning Cunieform]

Last edited by Quoth; 04-11-2024 at 07:42 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote