View Single Post
Old 04-09-2024, 12:09 PM   #380
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by endriu View Post
You CAN'T fully upgrade offline, because you CAN'T use the new features without connecting to the network. Hope this makes things clear.
Which is abusive behaviour. There should NEVER be time-delayed or later OTA activated features in FW updates (especially for anything like an ereader, TV, BD player etc). It's shoddy. They didn't used to do this. Lazy programming and testing.

I've wondered what happens to to such "later activated features" if you update via USB and then later update again by USB? My dad never had WiFi on his Kindle. The store guys helped him activate originally with registration using instore WiFi. His PC was plugged into the Cable Modem for broadband.

While it's nice to have WiFi an ereader is a gadget like a calculator or VHS or electronic scales that should never have to have WiFi. Some smaller kids I know don't have any WiFi password on their ereaders.

Amazon is so obsessed with so called "Whispernet" and subscriptions. Really it's so trivially simple to use USB, though MTP is trickier and sad they changed Scribe to use it (likely to better support 64 G as that needs exFat or ext4 rather than FAT32). Many people use USB to copy phone pictures/video to PC. Not everyone thinks Facebook and Youtube are their albums.

Last edited by Quoth; 04-09-2024 at 12:24 PM. Reason: qualify.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote