Thread: Epubs to Kindle
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2024, 09:23 PM   #10
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Yes, I had an issue converting one of their books too (I think I picked Advanced epub, which I took to be ePub3). I don't remember how I fixed it.

It's shameful that they blame Amazon for conversion issues with Send To Kindle, which handles ePub from other sources very well. They should clean up their code and verify themselves with Kindle Previewer. Once they do it for one, they can update everything and everybody will be happy, they can stop wasting their time generating AZW3 and thumbnails.

AZW3 just looks comparatively bad IMO, you can no longer add these to your Kindle (cloud) library, and one might ask how they are creating AZW3, presumably those also includes their useless code.
Interesting. They supply an azw3 version for those who have Kindle ereaders/apps but you complain that they do not test their ePubs which pass epubcheck which means that they are ePub compliant, for conversion by Amazon Send to Kindle service. Might I be insulting and ask why you are not complaining about Amazon's StK not accepting azw3 books? Why you seem to feel that a company that supplies an Amazon compatible version should also ensuring that you can send any of their 3 ePub versions to StK? Their azw3 readme has a couple of spots to click to complain to Amazon about Amazon's bugs. Did you click on any of them?

As for comparing their ePub to their azw3 ebooks? At one time I downloaded 5 ebooks in 4 formats. The ebooks were (At the Mountains of Madness by H. P. Lovecraft, The Head of Kay's by P. G. Wodehouse, Search the Sky by Frederik Pohl and C. M. Kornbluth, King Coal by Upton Sinclair & Space Viking by H. Beam Piper. The main reason for choosing those 5 ebooks was that I already had ePub versions.

I compared the 3 epub formats (compatible ePub using RMSDK and kepub and advanced ePub using the WebKit based renderer on my Kobo, all three with Books on a Mac and iPad) with the azw3 versions being tested as the downloaded azw3 and an azw3 extracted from the dual mobi generated by Kindle Previewer 3 from the compatible ePub and tested on a Kindle Paperwhite 10th gen.

Other than expected differences between the RMSDK and WebKit based renderers on the Kobo Clara HD, there were really not that much of a difference between any of the five versions (the Clara HD was used since it has a 6" screen matching the Paperwhite 10th gen. screen size). The Mac and Ipad had larger screens.

If I had to grumble, I would complain that neither the kepub nor the advanced epub versions include a toc.ncx but since all ePub versions I downloaded were ePub 3, a toc.ncx is an option for those still using a ePub2 renderer.

A few other items are that since the contents document in the .azw3 files shows a calibre identifier, I suspect they are using calibre to convert ePub to .azw3 and the advanced ePub version as they make clear uses some features that few renderers currently support. Kobo using the WebKit based renderer and iBooks come close but Thorium was the best of breed so far in my testing.

Renderers that are able to handle code such as the one below are not all that common:

Code:
section[epub|type~="copyright-page"] blockquote p span{
	display: block;
	padding-left: 1em;
	text-indent: -1em;
}

Since you mentioned downloading the "Advanced epub" version. are we to assume that you did read "Advanced epub — An advanced format that uses the latest technology not yet fully supported by most ereaders." and simply decided that a Kindle ereader could deal with those features?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote