View Single Post
Old 04-02-2024, 09:45 AM   #56
JBaby
Zealot
JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 11th Gen Paperwhite SE, 2021 iPad Pro 11” & iPhone 11 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Oddly enough, I have tried several page turners, physical, Bluetooth and WiFi. One part of my career was working with disabled students to help them to have as much independence as possible in learning. I also helped people outside work set their page-turners up. While most could be made to work, I did not find them worthwhile for me. As I said, with ereaders being a niche device with total sales of ereaders being a rounding error in Apple or Samsung sales, page turners for eInk ereaders are a niche within a niche market.
I wasn’t saying you hadn’t but the way you said it sounds a lot like what I described. You don’t find it worthwhile for you and that’s fine. It doesn’t mean that it’s not worthwhile. If Amazon did make it Bluetooth maybe other items could be used to perform the function such as large button switches.

Quote:
Within the group of people I know IRL who use ereaders, the percentage of users with disabilities that would prevent them from holding their ereader in their hands is rather low. For that fraction that has issues, assistive technology while maybe not a "life-saver", does help them to enjoy some quality of life. However, I think I am close to reality when I say that the vast majority of ereader users do not want or need a page turner.
It doesn’t matter if the number is low are not. I can hold my Kindle too that doesn’t mean that it’s easy or that I don’t get tired from doing so. With that said there are times I absolutely can not hold it. I have Osteogenesis Imperfecta. I’m not holding it at all if one of my arms is broken. You also need to take into consideration the number of people who don’t know they even exist. Again I agree this is a niche within a niche. I just don’t think that matters.

Quote:
I have no objection to page turners per se. What I object to is the people who appear to be claiming that more than a small minority of ereader users want and would make use of a page turner. Even with iOS or Android tablets, where setting up a page turner is relatively trivial, you don't see many people making use of a page turner.
My page turner works on my iPad too. I only use it when I’m reading graphic novels. Again who cares if the number is low? Why does that even matter? Page turners are growing in popularity. I get people asking me about mine all the time. Last night at reading sprints someone saw mine said they should get one to go with tablet floor stand they use with their Kindle and this morning I woke up to a PM on Discord letting me know they had ordered one. I’m not saying they are the most popular thing ever. But I am saying they are more popular than you are giving credit for.

Quote:
I remember being a page turner while at university. It got me into the concerts for free and forced me to concentrate on the music to know when to flip the page. Sadly, I was never good enough at playing any instrument to think of a career in a folk group.
Nice! I treasured good turners. It truly sucked when someone was bad at it. Luckily I didn’t have too many bad turners.

Thanks for fixing my pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Does being a niche within a niche matter? Pocket, wiki, Dropbox,...
I don’t think it does at all. Amazon has proven that they are willing to add something niche to Kindle. I’m not saying wireless charging is niche. I’m saying that it’s niche in the eReader world. The SE doesn’t need wireless charging yet it has it. But most relevant to this discussion is the fact that they have a charging dock. It could be said that that was completely unnecessary. Yet it still exists. I don’t see why a Bluetooth page turner can’t exist.

To everyone: I’m sorry for the pics. I’ll be sure to never post them again since I never use MR from the web unless I’m answering a poll.
JBaby is online now   Reply With Quote