View Single Post
Old 03-08-2024, 08:20 AM   #44
paperwhite13
Zealot
paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle PW3 [KOReader]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
IMO Rowling is not lucky, she can write. She is talented. I suppose talent is luck. You got it or you ain't

I've read John Masefield, The Midnight Folk and I recall no connection except that they are magical. And there is nothing new under the sun, and ideas cannot be copyrighted.

Inspired by English Boarding School stories 1870s to 1980s. Sorry, but that is a silly criticism.

The Ibbotson link is a bit suspect, I'll acknowledge. But I doubt that is as well written.

Also, James Potter is the name of the MC in James and the Giant Peach. An homage?

I do think she is an old boot who doesn't tip. Also, judging by pictures of her childhood home, her tales of poverty are exaggerated. She also crusaded against the Jeremy Corbyn in the UK election, and so helped Bojjer Johnson and the Tories to wreck the country, so I loathe her. But she can write.
I agree with this 100%. I dislike her intensely for various reasons, including the anti-Corbyn stance, but she can certainly write well. You need ideas to write, but having ideas is nowhere near enough; it's entirely possible to take the best ideas out there and end up with an awful book--or use mostly unoriginal ones and still end up with a good one.

It's why AI is a problem--it doesn't only steal ideas, it has the (brute force) capacity to synthesize and steal execution too, and it'll only get better at the perfect crime of stealing.
paperwhite13 is offline   Reply With Quote