View Single Post
Old 03-04-2024, 10:51 AM   #19
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
With regard to Wayland:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 View Post
> That comes from Qt, the toolkit calibre uses.

That's lucky.

Retesting with the native Wayland backend today after almost a full year (didn't expect it to work based on the overly friendly response, so didn't test until now) Calibre Viewer seems to render now, seemingly even correctly.

I suppose the ton of Wayland-related fixes that were shipped in Qt6 made things usable at some point, combined with the fact Calibre thankfully isn't lagging behind on Qt5.

Tested on Plasma(kwin) 5.27.10, Calibre 7.4, Qt 6.6.1 and a Nvidia series 4000 using the 545.29.06 driver.

Presumably people on Debian will have it working only on the new release (years away), but Ubuntu and its based distributions (i.e. person on Mint from yesterday) should start working properly when 24.04 ships, presumably sometime early May along with extra months for downstream adaptation.
I'm not using Calibre a lot these days because I punched my personal eBook library into shape between 2011 and 2016, and since then I only add an occasional book. (The entire library also on an iPad and on my phone these days.)

I do keep Calibre installed (Flatpak version), and didn't have a problem with it; not in X11, but also not in Wayland. The system is Debian 12, Plasma 5.27.5+hotfixes on Wayland, AMD graphics card, and Calibre 7.6 (Flatpak). Everything works as expected, except these three things:

- The calibre icon appears when starting the application. A second later, a Wayland icon appears, and 10 seconds after that, the calibre icon vanishes. The application itself works fine though.
- When opening an e-book, the viewer doesn't take scaling into account. The window has to be resized a few pixels for the book to be rendered to the correct scale.
- The font-rendering and drop-down lists of the viewer's configuration is messed up.

These things can be remedied as such, if desired:
- Close Calibre
- Install FlatSeal
- Take away Calibre's Wayland permissions, so it renders on XWayland (X11)
- Start Calibre

===

@KovidGoyal: why does the e-book viewer use a completely different GUI? Is it not written in QT? It seems that the GUI and GUI-fonts not rendering correctly under Wayland is a problem of this widget-set and/or GUI-library.

If this could be fixed (maybe by updating the library if possible), Calibre would run perfectly in Wayland on KDE.

Last edited by Katsunami; 03-04-2024 at 10:59 AM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote