View Single Post
Old 03-04-2024, 10:39 AM   #17
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
@KovidGoyal: Thanks for keeping up the maintenance of this program. Even though I don't use it that often these days (my eBook library has been about perfect since 2016, barring occasionally adding a few new books), I'm always happy it's there when I need it. I'll keep some donations per year coming your way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
It's cause I myself use and develop on Linux (X11 based).
What are you going to do after Red Hat drops X11 support from RHEL 10? Because, no doubt you know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
GNOME+Wayland which is the worst offender in the Wayland ecosystem, with its insane refusal to support server side window decorations.
...that Red Hat is both the sole maintainer of X11 right now, they are the main developer of both GNOME + Wayland (and one seems to be developed for the other).

In a year or two, IBM/RH will basically drop everything but GNOME, Wayland, and client-side decorations on LibAdwaita, and *FY* if you'd want to use anything else on Linux.

KDE, as can be expected, is doing a good job in basically supporting everything under the sun: QT5, QT6, server-side and client-side decorations (AFAIK), but with Plasma 6, it will also move to Wayland as the default.

=====

But I agree: Wayland is a joke. Why? (And I'm not even looking at implementations or protocols and concepts.)

It was first announced in 2008 to replace X.org, because X11 was 'old'. Back then, X11 was almost exactly 20 years old. Wayland should have been the finished and the default on Debian 5.0 Lenny (2012), or Debian 6.0 Squeeze (2014) at the latest. However, it finally became the default in Fedora in 2016, but only when running GNOME on an AMD graphics card. It still isn't the default for most distro's in 2023/2024.

It will become the default on Plasma 6, which will probably make Debian 13 Trixie opt for it to be default on every desktop that supports Wayland in March 2025. THAT is the point where I deem Wayland to be the default.

But here's the joke: at that point, Wayland is 17 years old; just 3 years shy of the point where we'll have to start thinking about a replacement

Last edited by Katsunami; 03-04-2024 at 10:56 AM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote