View Single Post
Old 02-24-2024, 05:45 PM   #73
fduniho
Addict
fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, DX, PW4, PW5, Scribe; Likebook Mars; Fire HD 8; iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
What is the best Asimov adaptation, movie or TV?

Off the top of my head, I think it is Bicentennial Man. I know critical opinion runs from 'meh' to negative. But I enjoyed the movie and it felt like Asimov.
I agree with that. I read The Positronic Man after seeing the movie, and it told essentially the same story. It also became my favorite of Asimov's novels.

The runner-up would be Foundation. It does depart more from the original story, but I enjoyed it more than I did the novels. As I recall, the novels did not have any prominent female characters, and they weren't unified by main characters who stayed alive for multiple generations. I appreciate how Gale Dornick, Salvor Hardin, and the cloned emperors have helped give more narrative continuity to the TV series. When I have time, I plan to reread the trilogy so that I can better compare it with the TV series.

Will Smith's I, Robot was fine as an action movie, but it mainly just used the name without trying to adapt any of Asimov's stories.

The worst would be the 1988 version Nightfall, which I described as "somewhat inept." I hope the 2000 version is better. While its 3.4 IMDB rating is slightly higher than this movie's 2.7 IMDB rating, it's still very low.
fduniho is offline   Reply With Quote