View Single Post
Old 02-17-2024, 11:13 AM   #1187
sarahcapa
sarahcapa began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Nia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivp View Post
Here is two English-Ukrainian Kobo dictionaries.

Source dictionaries I took from here,
and I have converted to Kobo format using Penelope.

dicthtml-en-ua.zip
English-Ukrainian dictionary
Words count: 63,287
Qualitatively decorated, looks good in Kobo.

dicthtml-en-ua-2.zip
slovnyk_en-uk
Words count: 138,169
In terms of the number of words, this should be larger, but in terms of quality of design, it is worse.
I was wondering if someone can help me as I don't have a dev background and it's all very new to me. I'm really willing to learn, but right now I just feel so stupid.

I downloaded the first Ukrainian-English dictionary in this post and have tried a couple of ways of uploading to Kobo. First, I tried just copying it into the dictionary folder but of course, that didn't work. I also tried copying it into the 'custom-dict' folder.

Next, I tried uploading the dictionary and renaming it to one of the dictionaries that already existed to replace it. It didn't work.

Then I realised that of course, it's not that simple, and tried following this guide: https://pgaskin.net/dictutil/dicthtml/install.html

But I don't really know what a patch is or how to find one so I just downloaded the latest firmware and hoped for the best. The instructions say "First, if you are not replacing a built-in dictionary, enable and install the Enable searches on extra dictionaries patch." but I can't find the patch or instructions for how to install and enable it. Is the patch just the latest firmware? (Sorry, I literally work in the arts)

Then I followed the rest of the instructions. However, initially, I had the dictionary saved in customdict and added to the config ExtraLocales=en-ua. It made a load of extra dictionaries appear in the list that had weird names, the first being "Extra: en-ua" and a load of others reading "Extra: en-ua - Italiano."

So I tried renaming the dictionary so that en-ua was just ua. And I made sure the dictionary appeared in the 'dict' folder and was read-only. Also hasn't worked, just made a dictionary called dicthtml-ua.zip appear in the list which does nothing.

I'm really at a total loss but I'd love to be able to download this dictionary so that I can learn. This is the way I began learning Dutch and I'm now fluent, so it would be amazing if I could practise Ukrainian in the same way. Really appreciate any help.
sarahcapa is offline   Reply With Quote