View Single Post
Old 02-07-2024, 08:54 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperwhite13 View Post
Got it, thank you. I see what you mean, but a lot of it is code bloat only if I put on my OCD hat (and I do have one). You even deleted comments In my other, non-OCD book code bloat is:

- code that slows down reading/loading in any perceptible, meaningful, quantifiable way;

- code that affects compatibility.

A lot of those are redundant, but does deleting/collapsing them have any meaningful impact? (And I don’t mean style-wise). Since they were most likely spit out automatically by InDesign, any time spent deleting comments for instance is production time bloat. I will always succumb to my OCD tendencies, but I don’t think anyone else who doesn’t is doing something wrong, unless the user experience is actually affected.
I've yet to see CSS comments that are actually worth keeping. They aren't useful.

You definition of code bloat is not code bloat. It's bad code. Code Bloat is any code that's not needed to get the results you want. If the code is not needed. Empty <div>, <span> or <a> to show you where some pBook version page number is, a <div> to put space at the top of a chapter, ID's that don't do anything are all code bloat.

Even <p class="idontactuallyneedtobehere"> can be considered code bloat as all you need is <p>. But that's an ongoing debate. I think it's code bloat.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote