View Single Post
Old 02-06-2024, 04:47 PM   #35
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I'm a few days in with my Vision Pro. For the first few days, it was not at all clear to me what I would use it for, and I thought for sure I was going to send it back.

What changed is that I finally got around to connecting it to my MacBook 13" Air. Yes, you only get one 4K-ish display, but you can make appear as large as the largest TV screen, it is crisp, you can see every detail and adjust the 'distance' instantly, and mix it with other windows hosted on the AVP itself. Already it is earning its keep as an ultra portable 4K display (which it also worked with iPad Pro this way, at least the ones that support 4K external displays). There's a lot of synergy.

And no, there is nothing for $500 that does this.

The immersive video is amazing but there's only so much appetite I have for it, and the supply currently is scarce (have yet to try to shoot my own).

I tried watching Avatar the Way of Water in 3D, but I didn't like it in 2D and if anything it was worse.

On the native app side, there's enough to get going with, but no Kindle app yet, and the Apple apps like Safari, News+ and Books lack Dark theme (which I use whenever I can on non-eInk screens). I wanted to use forScore (for displaying sheet music) but it's not available. I think I can use PDF Expert, which is.

And reading books is pretty cool.

I haven't checked out all of the 'environments' but currently using Mojave Desert. Gorgeous and relaxing.

I used it for about 4 hours straight this morning. No eye strain or neck fatigue from the weight. I think it is much better on eyes than typical computer screen because your eyes are not locked on to something 20" away, focus adjusts as you look at different things in there.

The prescription lens inserts work well and stay cleaner than my trifocals so it's another benefit over usual computer display. However I need to figure out how to cover them when AVP is not in use to keep dust out. Easy enough to pop them out and clean them, and the 'inner' lenses should not need cleaning often because they're always covered by the prescription lenses.

Last edited by tomsem; 02-06-2024 at 07:32 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote