View Single Post
Old 01-02-2024, 11:12 AM   #22
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I look forward to this thread every year and yet I'm really late to it. I've had holiday company for the past two weeks (leaving tomorrow) and I was reading a couple of books that had "ten best" possibilities, but once the jollity started I wasn't able to finish them. So here's how it fell out:

Nonfiction
  • The Broken House: Growing Up Under Hitler
  • Daughter of the Dragon: Anna May Wong's Rendezvous with American History
  • Twelve Caesars: Images of Power from the Ancient World to the Modern
  • A Search for Solitude: Pursuing the Monk's True Life, The Journals of Thomas Merton, Volume 3
  • Home Fires Burning: Food, Politics, and Everyday Life in World War I Berlin

Fiction
  • The Radetzky March (Joseph Roth)
  • Uncle Dynamite (P.G. Wodehouse)
  • Irretrievable (Theodor Fontane)
  • Diana Tempest (Mary Cholmondeley)
  • The Fortnight in September (R.C. Sherriff)

I usually try to discern a few themes or commonalities, but it beats the heck out of me this year. Two nonfiction books set in wartime Berlin (different wars). The fiction's all dated; the Wodehouse is the most recent at 1948, a mere 75 years ago. Only one of the authors is/was American by birth (Belinda Davis, Home Fires Burning), although two were naturalized (Merton and Wodehouse).

Overall, I didn't like most of the books published in 2023 that I read. A couple were dnfs; others were a weak two stars. Two exceptions were Claire North's House of Odysseus and the Anna May Wong bio that made my ten-best list. The North book was also an exception to the mostly terrible retellings of classical myths that I read/abandoned this past year. It's a concept I love but the execution tends to stink. IMO, of course.

The book I'm most looking forward to this year is published today, Divine Might: Goddesses in Greek Myth by Natalie Haynes. I love her nonfiction, dislike her fictionalized myths.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote