View Single Post
Old 12-08-2023, 05:37 AM   #57
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukusaukko View Post
Sometimes I just get bored by a book and do not bother to finish them, and I rarely remember them afterwards. There are however some books which I loathe enough to remember the reason why I did not finish them for years afterwards:

The Road by Cormac McCarthy: started reading it because I usually like post-apocalyptic stories, chucked it at a wall at about the 20th time someone said "i am cold and this story is not getting anywhere yes no i said" or something to that effect, which was around page 20 (slight exaggeration, but not by much). Obnoxious, pretentious, and unbelievably boring.

Jerusalem Commands by Michael Moorcock: I like Moorcock, a lot, but after struggling through the previous two novels in the trilogy despite their rather unpleasant protagonist, I just couldn't anymore.

Priest-Kings of Gor by John Norman: this is entirely my fault, as I already knew that the Gor books had a reputation for misogny, non-consensual S&M and plenty of exposition for no particlarly good reason, but I wanted to see if it was really that bad myself... Well, yes it was bad, and I've heard it only gets worse as the series progresses. Reading it was like picking a scab, except not quite as rewarding.

Oh, my friend. My friend!

If you want to try a Gor book that will make Priest-Kings of Gor read like the King James Version of the Bible, might I suggest ANYTHING beyond book 5 or 6?

The torture - for the reader - is exquisite.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote