View Single Post
Old 12-04-2023, 01:46 PM   #48
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I also got one a couple of days ago. Very happy with it.

It's fun to have color cover images, and color photos, and sometimes color headings, on an eInk device.

I can download ePub or PDF from calibre server with the browser, so it's convenient to get content on it (surely there is a way to change the web browser start page?). And these sync with PB Cloud so I can read these with the PocketBook app as well.

I love the form factor: 8" is sort of a sweet spot for a reading device, and it's more comfortable to hold than my iPad mini. I'm not a button person normally but these work well, work as expected in most contexts, and are customizable (default long press of Home button is Task Switcher for example).

I am looking for a decent Russian-English translation dictionary. I know PB has one (not a very good one) along with a dictionary conversion tool, and that I can 'roll my own' with that tool, but not sure it is worth time to figure it out, when I can just use a Kindle for this (decent dictionary and Vocabulary Builder). (As it stands, my Russian comprehension is not nearly what it was at its peak in college, so already I will need side-by-side English translation - 2 screens - to make faster progress.)

One minor disappointment is that I cannot use wired headset (e.g. when using TTS): USB port doesn't seem to support it. Maybe they can add support with an update, but it must be a low priority as it's not supported on other PB devices either (except maybe on the one that's Android based).

I haven't tried any comics yet (not why I got this). What will be best target format: CBZ, PDF, ePUB FXL?

Last edited by tomsem; 12-04-2023 at 02:07 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote