View Single Post
Old 11-23-2023, 02:08 PM   #1
DJKuulA
DJKuulA began at the beginning.

Device: none
7-8" Reader with Best Clarity and Library Support

Hi all!

I'm looking for a 7-8" e-ink device for general book reading. Most important is screen clarity and being easy on the eyes. My local library (in the US) uses Cloud Library and Hoopla, so I'd prefer to be able to use them without too much hassle (see ya, Kindle).

Having done some research, I think I'm leaning toward the Kobo Libra2, Kobo Sage, Boox Page, or Boox Leaf. Questions for those with experience:

Are there significant real-world differences in screen quality? I'd mostly be reading in daylight or lit rooms, but also in bed with the lights out.

The ability to install Android apps like Google Books, Cloud Library, and Hoopla make the Boox appealing, but it sounds like there are compromises. I doubt that I'd be doing much else with it, although I might use a dictionary or PDF reader. I have other Android devices for web browsing, email, etc. Is using Android apps directly on a Boox much more convenient than copying files from a computer to a Kobo, or just a minor benefit?

The ability to make annotations on the Sage would be neat, but just a nice-to-have. To use that feature, would I have to spend another $35 on a stylus? Is it compatible with any other sort of stylus (like, say, the one in my Galaxy S22 Ultra phone)?

What do people think of the general UI of Kobo vs. Boox devices? Are both reasonably convenient to navigate?

Are any of these devices noticeably physically more comfortable to use than others? Any specific ergonomic complaints or praise?

Charging every night isn't an issue. Do any of these devices have common battery problems, or are they all pretty capable of making it through a busy day of reading?

Are there any other devices that I should consider (keeping it under $250)? Are there easy ways to read library books on a Kindle? My local librarians didn't seem to think so.

Thanks in advance!
DJKuulA is offline   Reply With Quote