Thread: Kindle Scribe
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2023, 02:14 PM   #707
apastuszak
Evangelist
apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, nook Glowlight Plus, Apple iPad Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
The old Kindle DXG is also 9.7″ @ 150 dpi (1200x824 pixels) with page turn buttons. It's too low resolution for novels and too small for PDF data sheets. I have one, thus I wouldn't be interested in a Pocketbook Inkpad Lite (which seems a nearly identical panel).

I also have an 8″ @ 300 dpi Kobo Sage (1920x1440 pixels) and it manages larger page and smaller text PDFs. It seems an ideal weight and size. The 10.3″ reMarkable and the 10.3″ Kobo Elipsa are too heavy and large to read novels on (both 1872x1404 pixels), I had/have both. The reMarkable is really a PDF viewer and sketch pad, no on device writing to text like on the Sage and Elipsa. I find the 8″ Sage better for notes than the 10.3″ Elipsa due to size and weight, not just that it's more pixels.

No, it's not because the good battery life is due to reading novels has brief page turns (CPU wakes) and longer time CPU sleeping as the page is read. I know from my Android eink tablet that doing "Tabletly" stuff eats battery and Sage/Elipsa/Remarkable much worse on battery consumption using the pen to sketch/handwrite (the reMarkable is worse as it powers the pen; the Wacom system is inefficient compared to NTrig system MS bought that Kobo uses. The Scribe uses the same pen system as the reMarkable).

Also eink has black, white and 14 greys. Using greyscale slows an already very slow display panel compared to Plasma, CRT, LED, OLED, LED, EL etc.
By tablet flexibility, I really meant being able to install other reading apps other than the default ones that come with the device. I dont' want to do "tablety" type stuff like check email, surf the web, social media or videos. I just want to to have an e-reader where I can install a better PDF viewer than the one Amazon gives me.

I really like the large screen for reading books. I may keep it just for that. But for reading, annotating and marking up PDFs, this falls short.

I don't see what the appeal is for taking notes on an eInk device. If I'm going to scribble notes down on an device, I'd rather do it on a tablet, where it's WAY easier to get stuff on and off of it. On my iPad, I can scribble notes in Apple Notes, or OneNote and those notes will Automagically™ sync to my computer, my phone and possibly the web. I bought a matte screen protector for my iPad to make it feel more like a piece of paper when I write on it.

If anyone is using a large format eInk device for note-taking, why are you doing this over using a tablet?
apastuszak is offline   Reply With Quote