View Single Post
Old 10-23-2023, 11:12 PM   #49
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I've mostly given up on reading history. Basically, most of our ancestors are not people I would want to meet on a well lit front street.
Actually I find exactly this fascinating. If our ancestors were like us in every regard, with modern values and principles, reading about history would be really boring. I hate it in fiction too, when the characters in a novel taking place in the past are basically modern people in costumes. If I wanted modern people, I'd read a modern novel, not a historical one.

Edit: this doesn't mean I want to live in the past or among people with outdated values. I don't. But I like to read how people thought and felt in the past and compare it to how we think and feel now. That is what makes history interesting.

Last edited by Sirtel; 10-23-2023 at 11:17 PM.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote