View Single Post
Old 10-19-2023, 11:55 AM   #181
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil_swann80 View Post
Great answer. I'm not actually a member of my local library, you've inspired me to register. I may not ever leave with any books, but if simply being a member that pops in to read their ereader helps their stats and funding it seems worthwhile. I imagine it will be a nice place to quietly read anyhow... and to find inspiration for my next purchase.
Good libraries offer many other services. Ours have storytimes and school holiday programmes, crafting programmes, educational talks (went to one last week on eclipses, it was very interesting), tech instruction and support for seniors and other people who are struggling, meeting rooms for hire, recycling stations (for batteries, ink cartridges etc - the things that aren't picked up by roadside recycling), LEGO club, English conversation classes, author talks, book clubs, homework and study support services, boardgame club, coding for kids, community volunteering coordination, and heaps of other things, along with being the neighbourhood cooling centre in extreme weather.

Just on library borrowing, it is in no way a one-to-one if-I-didn't-borrow-it-I'd-buy-it situation for me. The library is how I discover new authors, check out a cookbook, learn things from nonfiction, etc. I'm assuming many others are much the same.

Last edited by meeera; 10-19-2023 at 12:18 PM.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote