View Single Post
Old 10-03-2023, 02:18 PM   #82
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
4/5 at The Storygraph for The Collected Short Fiction of Ngaio Marsh. The two intrductions were both interesting, one by Douglas Greene, and one by Marsh herself. That one was particularly interesting for its look at the genesis of Alleyn and Troy, and the author's relationship with both.

The stories themselves were a bit uneven, but one thing that surprised me was how prominently Marsh's homeland featured. New Zealand was a feature in the overwhelming majority of the stories, from one where the culprit gave themselves away to Alleyn by making a NZ mistake, to one named after NZ's only extant owl, the morepork (the bird later made more famous by Terry Pratchett).

A very interesting "short story" was the final entry, Marsh's contribution to the 70s TV show "Crown Court", which did not include the verdict, followed by Greene's analysis of who might have done it, and why he reached that conclusion. Overall, a satisfying way to reach 75% of the way through the MR TBR reduction challenge
I just finished Marsh's last Alleyn novel last month. This is still on my TBR. Might use it to fill a prompt next year.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote