Thread: Audiobooks
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2023, 11:46 AM   #8
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgray View Post
Nothing I try works. Perhaps Kobo is adding the audiobook to the KoboReader.sqlite database at time of purchase. As we all know, you can simply sideload an ebook, and the device will import it, and add it to the database. This doesn't seem to be the case with audiobooks.
There are certainly rows for a purchased audiobook in the table named content in the KoboReader.sqlite database.

There is a single row for the whole book:
Code:
ContentType: "6"
   MimeType: "application/octet-stream"
  BookTitle: null
      Title: "Bleak House"
plus lots more columns, including book metadata (author, description etc)
This row is present even if I haven't yet downloaded the book from the Kobo servers. I suppose it's the one used to populate the GUI booklists.

Once the book is downloaded there are extra rows added to the content table, 2 rows per chapter (i.e. per individual audio file). I'll use the one's for Chapter 1 as an example
Code:
ContentType: "899"
   MimeType: "application/octet-stream"
  BookTitle: "Bleak House"
      Title: "c01Bleak-House" (i.e. chapter title as it appears in this audiobook's TOC)
... plus lots more columns and
Code:
ContentType: "9"
   MimeType: "audio/mpeg"
  BookTitle: "Bleak House"
      Title: "1.mp3"
... plus lots more columns

BTW the column named IsEncrypted is set to false on every row for this free audiobook.

--------------------------

I suspect we need to wait for Kobo to decide that they no longer wish to "discriminate" between purchased audiobooks and sideloaded .MP3Z audiobooks. As we've seen, the latter aren't really useable ATM.

They seem to be concentrating on the note-taking features on Elipsa and Sage right now, but who knows what may happen in the future.

Anyone who is keen on owning an eink device (non-Android) today with very useable audio features (proper audiobooks and/or TTS) should probably consider one of the newer PocketBook models. In addition to Bluetooth and simple jack headphones, I believe the newest one also includes a proper speaker so you don't need to use headphones at all if you prefer not to.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote