View Single Post
Old 03-25-2023, 12:05 PM   #4
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Mainly I felt like the article writer came off as a dickhead coastal elite, snickering at Utahan Asian food and the like.

But I don't disagree with the points in the article. Sanderson is not a good writer (writer, as opposed to storyteller). The only Sanderson book I've yet read is Elantris and my opinions of it pretty much match what the article states. Elantris was original, I've not read another fantasy like it. And the characters were stronger than I expected. But in the end... I dunno. I didn't like it much and won't go out of my way to pick up more of his work.

I remember reading an article somewhere (I think the article was about Terry Goodkind) about these 'junk fantasy' authors. Authors who pop-up out of nowhere and can churn out long fantasy tomes. Sanderson fits in there for sure.

As for the hot takes on the article itself, I didn't bother to wade in. In the end, it doesn't really matter. However mean the article it was, like Liberace before him Sanderson can cry all the way to the bank.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 03-25-2023 at 12:09 PM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote